[WWYC] OT3R in CQWWDX CW

on4ccp on4ccp at skynet.be
Mon Dec 1 20:26:59 EST 2003

All,

After 3 CQ WW contests at full effort, I felt too much tired to set down a
highscore... so I thought it could be interesting to test some things :

1. I didn't use statistics to have assistance when to quit CQing and go to
S&P.   Result : too much QSO's for the multis worked.  The effect is
terrible for the final score.

2.  using 500W in stead of 100W.  Result : It is more easy to keep a
frequency open, but you have to receive stations with small dipoles and
minor power.  They think they are as strong as you are.  Sometimes it seemed
they were all qrp.  Many  "agn ???" to copy them properly...

Conclusion of using Middle Power : you're too weak to keep the neighbours
"away", but your good signal attracks weak stations (which you cannot copy
because of the the qrm).

3. without packet assistance and being SO1R, it is impossible to search
multis at 100%: so those who can obtain >1500 qso's with an acceptable
qso/multi rate and without packet cluster -> they make me laughing.

The learning part is a hard job...

Here are the results :

Call: OT3R
Operator(s): ON4CCP
Class: SOAB HP
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:   10     2        8
   80:  311     9       43
   40:   90    10       32
   20:  259    14       41
   15:  249    17       45
   10:  281    16       28
Total: 1200    68      197  Total Score = 593,600

After >3K QSO's during the 2003 CQWWDXs as SOAB, I'm satisfied and need some
contest-free weekends.  See you next year !

73s Koen, on4ccp.