[WWYC] Europe Sprint 2003

Hrvoje Horvat hrle at ipazin.net
Tue Sep 23 01:52:38 EDT 2003

Probably many of you got it but here it is for those that never participated
the EU Sprint contest. It's 4 hours of big big fun and a contest were every
WWYC QSO makes a differnece. Let me remember that in the Spring part almost
10% of the participation were made by WWYC members, why not do it again?
Actually why not do it even more!? I know each of you can take that 4 hours
to be on!

First come the SSB Sprint so take your microphones and get on!

I'd like to make 2-3 teams to fight out between. We'll probably discuss this
into #wwyc so get there or just drop me an email. I'll invite all of you
that I've seen to be active lately in personal to make you into a team or
something.

Untill then, read the rules carefully!

Hrle - 9A6XX

Hello!

This email is to invite all contesters to have a go in the European
Sprint contests 2003. The Autumn phone event is on Saturday 4th October
and the CW leg is the following Saturday, 11th October.

The whole point of a Sprint is that you cannot stay on a frequency and just
call CQ: after each CQ or QRZ, when you make a contact you must QSY at
least 2kHz. The contest cannot be won by a 'big gun' sitting on a frequency
and CQing.

If you're wondering which software to use, DL2NBU's program has been
written specially for this contest. It is very much like K1EA's CT, and it
is FREE
for download from the new Eu Sprint web site <http://www.qsl.net/eusprint>.
SD by EI5DI and TRlog by N6TR both support the Eu sprint, and if you prefer
to log on paper, that's fine as well. We accept any fixed column ASCII
file, too.

As you'll see from the rules below, the Eu Sprints are 4-hour contests
starting at 15.00z on 20,40 and 80m only. Activity always starts on 20m,
and after the first hour a few participants start to move to 40m.
80m is mainly used in the last hour.

Both callsigns must be sent on each QSO and it is very helpful to follow
the convention for different QSO formats. Since you must QSY after
you have CQed and made a QSO, what happens is that the person who has just
called and worked you, stays on your frequency, calls CQ or QRZ and makes
his next QSO, and then in his turn he QSYs. When you are tuning the band
looking for a QSO, the way that the exchange is sent tells you which station
you can call.

Here's an example
-- CQ TEST G4BUO G4BUO TEST
-- I2UIY
-- I2UIY G4BUO 81 DAVE
-- G4BUO 123 PAOLO I2UIY
-- TU QRZ I2UIY
-- OK2FD
-- OK2FD I2UIY 124 PAOLO
-- I2UIY 117 KAREL OK2FD
-- R DE OK2FD
-- TEST OK2FD TEST
-- DL6RAI
-- DL6RAI OK2FD 118 KAREL
-- OK2FD DL6RAI 43 BEN DL6RAI
-- R DL6RAI

In all the cases above, the caller who has just tuned onto the frequency
sends his callsign at the end of his exchange, to signal to anyone else
tuning the band that he is the one who will stay on the frequency. The
CQing station sends his callsign near the beginning of the exchange
and so anyone else tuning across the QSO will be able to work out
who is the one who is going to QSY. It takes some getting used to but
it makes lots of sense and adds to the fun of the contest. The TR logging
program has some special support for the two different types of sprint
exchange.

So, we hope you will give the Sprints a try in October, and then send
your logs to <eusprint at kkn.net>. The full Eu Sprint rules are shown below.

73 from the EU Sprint Gang
I2UIY, OK2FD & G4BUO

-

Eu Sprint Contest - 2003

ENTRANTS: any licensed station may enter the Sprint. European stations can
work everybody; stations outside of Europe can work only European stations.

CATEGORIES: Single Operator ONLY. Only ONE signal may be aired at one time.

DATES:
EU SPRINT Autumn:
* SSB: first Saturday in October - 4 October 2002 - managed by I2UIY
* CW: second Saturday in October - 11 October 2002 - managed by OK2FD

TIME: from 15:00 UTC until 18:59 UTC.

BANDS: 20, 40 and 80 metres only.
Pilot frequencies are: SSB: 14.250, 7.050, 3.730. CW: 14.040, 7.025, 3.550

EXCHANGE: all of the following data MUST BE PART OF THE EXCHANGE:
a) your callsign,
b) the other station's callsign,
c) your serial number starting from 001 (RST not required),
d) your name or nickname.
Please note that BOTH stations MUST repeat BOTH callsigns DURING the
exchange.
A valid exchange is: "OK2FD de I2UIY 118 Paolo" while "OK2FD 118 Paolo" is
NOT a valid exchange.

SPECIAL QSY RULE: if any station initiates a call (by sending CQ, QRZ?,
etc.), he is permitted to work ONLY one station on the same frequency. He
must thereafter move AT LEAST 2 (two) kHz before he may call another
station or before he may solicit again (CQ, QRZ?, etc.) other calls.

VALID CONTACTS: valid contacts are QSOs correctly logged and confirmed.
Each operator may use ONE and ONLY one name during the Sprint. If the
exchange is copied incorrectly, that operator will receive zero (0) points.
In case of miscopied callsigns, both stations will receive zero (0) points
for that QSO.

SCORING: each valid QSO counts one 1 (one) point. The final score is the
total number of QSOs.

AWARDS: Colorful certificates will be issued to the winners of each Sprint,
and to the leaders in each country. A special plaque will also be awarded
for the top three scores from all four contests combined. To be eligible
for this award an operator must enter at least three of the Sprints in the
year. Results will be forwarded as soon as possible to Leagues, magazines
and bulletins.

LOGS: a single chronological log is required. Please send us your log via
email or on a floppy disk, if you use computer for logging. Use any of the
available software or send a plain ASCII file. Please send us the right
files:
for DL2NBU software, send yourcall.ASC; for N6TR software, send
yourcall.DAT; for IK4EWK software, send yourcall.DBF.
If you want the latest release of the DL2NBU software, you can download it
from the new EU Sprint web site: <http://www.qsl.net/eusprint>.
Log files must be sent NO LATER than 15 days after the contest to:
<eusprint at kkn.net>. The receipt of your electronic log will be immediately
confirmed. If you do not receive a confirmation within few hours, try again
or use the postal system.
Disk logs, or paper entries must be posted NO LATER than 15 days after the
contest to the appropriate address:
* Autumn SSB Sprint: Paolo Cortese, I2UIY, P. O. Box 14, 27043 Broni
(PV), Italy.
* Autumn CW Sprint: Karel Karmasin, OK2FD, Gen. Svobody 636, 674 01
Trebic, Czech Republic.

Thanks in advance for your participation de: G4BUO, I2UIY & OK2FD.

-

About Eu Sprint:
- download the FREE software,
- rules in English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese, Russian, Czech,
- all past results from 1994,
- download full logs and ubn reports,
- all time records,
- find more information about Log Checking,
- and much more about the Eu Sprint....
You will find everything here: <http://www.qsl.net/eusprint>