[WWYC] SO2R listening question

Oliver Bock dj9ao at gmx.net
Thu Feb 12 20:43:36 EST 2004

Ok, thanks for all the answers so far.
The background of my question was:
Today I read about something called Dichotic Listening. The theory
is: It is a general fact that everything experienced by the right-hand
side of the body is processed in the left hemisphere of the brain
and vice-versa. So any signal received by the left ear has to go to
right part of the brain and the other way round for signals picked up
by the right ear.
Another fact is, that there is only one area in the brain dealing with
language functions (i.e. understanding/processing what was heard).
This area is located in the left hemisphere of the brain. So anything
that is received by the right ear, goes straight into the left part of
the brain, as explained above and finds the linguistic area there.
Anything received by the left ear goes into the right hemisphere of
the brain and then back to the left to this ling. area.
Tests have shown that with a lot of people the reception from the
right ear was processed faster than from the left, when heard at the
same time.

So far the theory.
My question then intended to find out if anyone did set up his so2r
station according to this theory. Either unconscious or because
they experienced this faster-processing themselves, noted it
somehow and saw an advantage in this.

73,  Oliver  DJ9AO