[WWYC] WPX CW

Lee Volante lee at g0mtn.freeserve.co.uk
Mon May 30 08:34:34 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I was struck by how other stations can appear and call CQ on my frequency,
seeming not to hear my own CQ calls at all.  But if I then called them for a
QSO, they worked me straight away.  Oli M0TAO and myself were discussing
this propagation phenomenon last night.

It seems that just after the end of someone else's CQ call, *and* only if
you send your callsign, there is up to a 6 dB path improvement, and your
callsign can be copied.  If you send QRL! or LID! instead, the signal
increase does not happen.  I would imagine that the improvement is
proportional to the rarity of your prefix as well - truly amazing
propagation characteristics.

I will do more research on this subject and present my results later ;-)

Lee G0MTN