[WWYC] IARU

Franki ON5ZO on5zo at telenet.be
Mon Jul 16 08:27:23 EDT 2007

>Congrats, looks like you did!

TNX, it was hard work! I didn't care about the score, I wanted rate + rate +
rate to get to 2000. No S&P except with Radio2. It looked like I wasn't
going to make it on Sunday. Only an average 20m and a wasteland above, with
350 QSOs to go. Then a good period on 15m and a modest run on 10m, "et
voilà". I'm still on a (natural) contesting high  ;o)

I was always using Radio2 (271 out of 2087 QSO = 13%). But barefoot. Calling
a PY on 80m with abt 50W (TS-850 folds back when SWR > 1.5 and the bandpass
filters don't like an ATU) ànd succeeding is fun. Makes you treasure the amp
even more. Also a problem: a tribander is unusable for SO2R. So on 10/15/20,
the 2nd antenna is a wire with my trusty SmartTuner.

No cluster - but a fair signal and continuous running bring the DX to you.
The more I go unassisted, the more I like it. I couldn't believe what good
DX called in on 80m (PY, LU, CX, A2 and more). That PY went smoother QRO
style than the S&P one with 50W.
On 20m I got called by two loud KH6's - when beaming 150°, so a LP opening?
No hoped for massive USA run there though...
No JA heard on 20 and 40m, but I logged a dozen on 15m. USA was considered
'a treat' there too! Only the East Coast biggies on 15m.
And booming YE1ZAT on 10m was also cool. No Ten Meter DX apart from him.
KD4D was painful for my only 160m QSO across th ocean.

The new OB11-3 yagi is VERY good and although smaller than the KLM, it sure
doesn't lack performance for its size. I can't wait for Cycle 24 to peak!!!!

CU all in EUHFC and WAECW - afraid it will be a boring one given the
conditions. If it weren't for the QTC I might even skip it.

73 de Franki ON5ZO / OQ5M