[WWYC] 9A CW and other...

mike at sm3wmv.com mike at sm3wmv.com
Mon Dec 21 13:05:02 PST 2009

Yes, I kind of regret those two hours of sleep now when looking at how
little YT1TA beat me with. Not sure though that 2 more hours would have
helped since I would probably not have been as effective with the 2nd
radio. I should have gone to the station on Friday but I was hungover from
a work party so I had to get up very early Saturday morning and wasn't
well rested. Arriving at the QTH I had to play electrician since I had
lost power in one room. It wasn't a fuse though but after going through
all wiring I found that there was a screw in a wall socket which wasn't
tighten hard enough, fun to find..or not ;-)

I also see that I should have called more non-contest stations, that is
where I lost quite a few mults I believe. I think I only logged one or two
000 and those were Canadians calling in. Otherwise I am pretty happy with
the SO2R effort, especially that I tried to move pretty much guys even
though a lot of the attempts failed. This is very good practice for
working SAC. However there are too many that doesn't understand what QSY
1842 means and instead send their serial number twice again.

The SO2R was very rusty at the start but mainly the sometimes very
annoying SO2R interface of WT. I liked Writelogs way more but after a
while I got used to it. However there were a few times I started to send
CQ from the 2nd radio window...Good practice for Russian DX Contest which
I plan to do SOAB. I just hope we have some amps working, maybe on both
radios!

Now plans at the station is to install the openASC station control system
and the whole 7/16" antenna switch system to have that complete hopefully
before the summer. The system will be able to handle up to three antenna
systems per band which can be routed to any of the four operating
positions.

Plans are to start with antenna work in April/May so we can have full
setup of antennas in the 60m tower and maybe the 18m tower up with the 2nd
antenna for 15m. I feel very limited being used to having the possibility
to beam two directios and now "only" one antenna system. But that I can
live with...at least until next years contest season ;)

Also SM2NOG found an old crane which we will take the rotational bearing
mechanics from to form the summers big project, a 40m rotating tower. This
tower is a squared tower which used to be free-standing but plans are to
add a guy wire level to it and make it rotational. This will hold 2nd
antenna system for 40m which will be a 2el yagi and 5/5el mono for 20m
plus probably also a 6el for 10m.

This hobby is fantastic :-)

Merry Xmas to all!

Mike, SM2WMV (SJ2W)
http://www.sj2w.se

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:07 , Fabian Kurz <mail at fkurz.net> sent:

My results from 9ACW below. Low power can be more fun than I
previously thought, but don't be afraid: I'm not going to repeat the
mistakes of my youth and become a QRPer again!

Nice score Mike, but I wonder how it would have been without the two
hours of offtime you had.

We should fight this one next year again :-)

Congrats also to 9A1UN for a great HP score and thanks to all the
WWYCers in the log!

>From 3830:

Croatian CW Contest

Call: DJ1YFK
Operator(s): DJ1YFK
Station: DJ6ZM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: nr Munich
Operating Time (hrs): 24

160: 76 32
80: 353 46
40: 333 58
20: 255 54
15: 62 20
10: 4 4
-------------------
Total: 1083 214 Total Score = 698,710

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

FT2000 (100W); OB804020 @ 35m, OB17-4 @ 25m, OB9-5 @ 20m, INV-L (160m)
(see http://dl0tud.tu-dresden.de/~dj1yfk/zm/20091207a.jpg )

Yet another great contest from DJ6ZM's super station (aka DL1A)!

It's been a while since I operated a contest seriously with low power,
and I never did it with an antenna farm like this. I had to reassure
myself a couple of times that the PA was actually switched off. Great
runs, especially on 40/80m. And lots of OPs with good ears!

SO1R only; feels like I missed a lot of "easy" mults and didn't move
anyone, but in the end the number of multipliers seems to be OK. The
figures include a few stations which didn't take part in the contest
that I logged with "000" (unless they were kind enough to give me a
number); we'll see how this will be treated in log checking.

Thanks for all the QSOs and see you in the next one.

Fabian, DJ1YFK

--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Munich, Germany * http://fkurz.net/ .---.
Learn CW Online: http://lcwo.net/ | | |