[Yaesu] 1000D Problems

Ron St. Laurent at949@detroit.freenet.org
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 12:06:07 -0500

I sent my Yaesu 1000D in for repair in August.
The rig had dropped to 40 watts maximum output into
a dummy load.  Yaesu replaced a surge absorber,
and realigned the ALC pot.  When I got the rig
back all seemed fine.  The problem repeated itself
within a week.  Back to Yaesu for the second time.

This time the technician stated that there was an
intermittent pot in the ALC protection circuit.
I got the rig back and all seemed fine.  The "fixed"
rig lasted two weeks and the same problem came back.
Off to Yaesu for the third time.

The rig came back.  The repair was a driver transistor
shorted "when heats up", transistor replaced, complete
test and align to factory spec.

This time the "fix" worked for two weeks.  I have
shipped the rig back for the FOURTH time.  The
technicial now "suspects" that there is something
wrong on the PA board.  I suggested that he replace
the entire board to save him the freight (they have
at least been paying for the round trips) and to
attempt to redeem some customer satisfaction with this
rig.

By the way, the power out was down to 10 watts maximum
this last time.  I should also state that until the rig
drops below 40 watts, I really am not aware of the drop
as I use this rig to excite my Alpha and 40 is all I need.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the
1000D and what was done to correct it?

BTW my little Icom 706 has stood in admirably for the
1000D, including some pretty rugged use in the RTTY
contests.

Thanks for listening and the bandwidth.

Ron ND5S  (at949@detroit.freenet.org)

--