FT1000MP TX problems

Andrew Williamson Andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 23:06:02 +0100

Hi all,
  I have a problem with my FT1000MP and was wondering has anyone else
had this problem, or know how to cure it.

When the 'MP is cold it works fine. When it warms up, after about 20-30
minutes, a strange thing happens whereby the SWR reading goes to
infinity on the rising edge of speech and CW. The antennas have been
checked with various other rigs, so no problem there. This problem is
mainly seen on 15 and 17M. When it happens, there is a type of 'buzzing'
sound from inside the radio (bouncing relays ??).

My radio is an AC model and has a serial number in the 5F010XXX series.
A friend has a DC model in the 5L030XXX series which has the SAME
problem! Both radio's are in GI-land. How widespread is this? When this
happens, the radio is basically unusable.

My 'MP has been returned to Yaesu UK to be fixed, but came back with a
service report which stated:-
Checked and tested all alignments and connections. 5/5
Checked 15 and 17 M bands extensively under varied conditions. 5/5
Also stated on the report was:- Labour: 1 hour.

How can anybody do the above work and test the radio EXTENSIVELY in just
one hour??? Not possible I say. Also the radio was away for one month to
do just one hours work !!!!! Needless to say I am not very happy.

My friends radio is actually somewhat worse than mine. One time whilst
operating 20M CW, this problem occured, then promptly reset the CPU. He
ended up on 7.000.00 CW with all menu settings cleared. What is wrong
here???

An FT990, FT102, TS930, TS430, IC735, and IC765 have worked flawlessly
on the same antennas, so it looks like something is seriously amiss with
the 'MP. Any ideas ??

Also, has anyone experienced RF feedback type problems on the 'MPs
internal speaker when another rig is transmitting on another band. I've
had this in the middle of a contest. VERY off-putting.

If anyone has experienced similar problems, drop me a line so I have
more ammunition when I start hammering on Yaesu's desk. Has anyone had
any joy in getting Yaesu to fix a similar problem ?

Looking forward to the replies.

Andrew Williamson, GI0NWG (+G3OZF - U.K. team for WRTC)
E-mail     : andrew@gi0nwg.demon.co.uk
One of the WestNet DX Gang.
Operations from EU006,007,103,106,124.
Please call us in the IOTA contest from EU-124 as GW6J.