[Yaesu] FP-800 POWER SUPPLY << your input, please >>

bjacob@iofc.com bjacob@iofc.com
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 10:06:41 +0000

-------------- Enclosure number 1 ----------------

Yaesu fans,

I originally posted to this list with a question about some noise
problems I was experiencing with the ASTRON switching and linear
power supplies. For those of you who may not have seen the original
posting, here is a recap:

When using the Astron SS-30 and (later) the RS-35M with my
FT-900/CAT, I experienced transient or switching noise that made copying
weak signals on 160 and 80 nearly impossible. Some of this noise
appeared every 38 Khz or so. This noise problem vanished when I
switched over to a 12 volt automotive storage battery. There were no
computers or television sets involved with this noise problem.

I would like to say thanks to all who responded to my original
posting. The responses ran about 50 / 50 "for" or "against" the
ASTRON supplies.

A NEW APPROACH --

Now I am looking for input from those of you who are currently
using or have used the YAESU FP-800 power supply. Although this
supply is quite a bit more expensive than the equivalent ASTRON, I
am wondering whether it, too, is noisy. I am particularly
interested in your experiences with this supply when operating 160
meters and 80 meters HF.  If you have had some experiences with
this supply (positive or negative) I would certainly welcome your
input and feedback on this subject.

73s,

Jacob Worthington
AA4FM