[Yaesu] Re: FT1000MP Key Clicks? IE: All Rigs Can Be Cured

WD8ARZ wd8arz@null.net
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 08:34:22 -0500

Hello All, the topic of key clicks is a good one. Most rigs can produce the
problem at one time or the other. The causes are several and is generally
easy to correct. It is not limited to just one line of radios or
manufacture as some might suggest. I have experienced key clicks from rfi
issues, different types of keys or keyers, poor and mixed grounding with
the shack equipment and the house system. All were easy to fix. Eliminate
the rfi with good antenna, coax and grounding/shielding techniques
(seperate book for that one hi hi), filter caps on the output of key and
keyer contacts (.01 - .1uf and sometimes I use both at the same time, and
use shielded/grounded cable to/from the key/keyer), and tie all ground
points to a common connection in the shack. Fix any house hold grounding
issues. In general dont tie your ham shack grounding tie point to the power
box grounding tie point. On the subject of grounding, it is very complex
and almost magic in methods used to cure issue's. What works or fixes
issues in one location aggravates it in another location....what fixes one
band messes up another. Start with the electrical codes for your area for
safety reasons, then follow comman practices for rfi grounding. Then work
on variations until your satisfied with the balance. Good rf grounds, and
good antenna techniques are the key.

Also keep in mind that many rigs that had design key click issues, have had
fixes and mods from the manufacture for them. Always contact the
manufacture for such information and restore your satisfaction with your
great radio....no matter the brand.

What I cant understand though, is why so many manufactures sell todays
radios with sensitive electronic components that in general dont have rfi
at the rated rigs output power (and exceptions even to this), but have a
tough time with running the legal liimit. I refer to rfi that gets into the
microphone and accessory inputs. Its a shame that we have to take external
messures when the manufacture should have implemented internal filtering to
handle the full legal power on all bands that the rig works at. I
especially fault the poor filtering and spike surpression for the computer
interface input/outputs. Heck those get fried so easily and it should not
happen.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ
E-Mail Reply to:
wd8arz@null.net

> From: Jan-Erik Holm 0920 239081 , 010 2255226 <JEH@on.mobile.telia.se>
> To: yaesu@contesting.com
> Subject: [Yaesu] Re: FT1000MP Key Clicks?
> Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 5:14 AM
>
> >That and other quirks with the monitor audio are normal with the
MP...one of
> >it's few weaknesses.

MONI