[Yaesu] Re: FT1000MP Key Clicks

Rod Elliott elliottr@mail.hurontel.on.ca
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 09:25:30 -0500

At 08:34 AM 12/14/97 -0500, WD8ARZ wrote:
>Hello All, the topic of key clicks is a good one. Most rigs can produce the
>problem at one time or the other. The causes are several and is generally
>easy to correct. [snip]

Hello all...

Bill's comments are excellent. I'd like to add one thing specific to the
FT-1000MP that may be a "quick 'n easy" way to prevent clicks.

I've set my FT-1000MP's meter to peak hold for 500ms (menu 3-7). This
affects both the S-meter reading on receive and the power out reading on
transmit.

So far, that has nothing to do with key clicks. However, having the ability
to observe peak power output has revealed an interesting thing: As I
advance the PWR control up the 100 watts output level, the peak reading on
key closure is the same as the key-down steady state power reading.
However, if I try to squeeze out that last few watts by advancing PWR
beyond the 100 watt level, the peak reading on key closure rises to almost
150 watts, even though the steady state reading won't go past 105 watts.

My inference: It looks like when you drive the MP past 100 watts, the
keying waveform gets very sharp, or hard, on key closure. I haven't
confirmed it, but there's a good chance that this generates key clicks.

So... I always limit my power control to no more than 100 watts key down.
I've had no complaints about key clicks.

... for what it's worth, and easy to try. Many thanks to Bill WD8ARZ for
his insightful comments.

73

Rod Elliott  VE3IRF