[Yaesu] FW: Questions

Tyler G Stewart k3mm@erols.com
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 03:29:25 -0000

----------
> From: Brian Short <ke7gh@primenet.com>
> To: 'yaesu' <yaesu@akorn.net>
> Subject: [Yaesu] FW: Questions
> Date: Thursday, January 30, 1997 2:29 AM
>
> Please Reply To: arto.liimatta@ntc.nokia.com
>
> >Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:41:37 +0200
> >From: Arto Liimatta <arto.liimatta@ntc.nokia.com>
> >To: km9p@contesting.com
> >Subject: Questions
> >Greetings from OH-land
> >
> >I did not find any other way how to send the message to refelection, so
> >I am sending them here. Maybe you can put them to the table ?
> >

> >Arto OH2BUQ
> >
> >**********
> >
> >I read through most of the FT-1000MP messages from the reflector, but
> >I didi not find any dgood answers for the small problems that I do have
> >with FT-1000MP.
> >
> >1) I have HEIL PROSET headset, my problem is not the weak TX level, but
> >too loud level. Reducing the MIC gain improves the problem, but it has
> >to be reduced so much, that the actual signal suffers. The problem is
> >worse with RF prosessor on. During the breaks or silent moment in the
> >speech the The ALC seems to pump up the background noise very much
> >(background fans etc). Any comments, I think that the HEIL (4) mic
> >capsule should be much more directive.

I believe what you are suffering from is one of the
quirks/bugs/whatever-you-want-to-call-it of the MP TX section.  The ALC
metering on both of mine will not stay in the normal zone and also work well
on the air.  You have to run it a lot higher.  Also, the Compression metering
is very stingy.  You probably dont want any peaks over about 5 db on the
meter, or it will sound muffled.  My suggestion from using my 2 MP's is to
run the processor at 10 to 10:30 and then crank the mic gain up to where
meter peaks hit the right end solidly.  This should be between 9 and 10:30 on
the MIC knob (I use a Heil HC4 in a ProSet). The main thing is...dont believe
what Yaesu says on paper about the ALC...it just doesnt work.  I"ve asked
Yaesu about it several times and they basically told me their procedure
should work, but they also said it wasnt important where the ALC actually
came out!

73, Tyler K3MM

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/yaesufaq.html