[Yaesu] CT + MP Frequency Problem Solved

Bruce Sawyer N6NT@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 06:32:07 -0800

Mark, K4SO came up with the explanation for the problem I reported
yesterday in getting the CAT interface to work with my MP.  He isn't
even an MP owner, but hit the nail right on the head with this one.

Here in California, Boulder is one good hop away.  I'm sure many of us
stuff WWV frequencies in memory and then pull them up frequently to
check propagation conditions.  How Boulder sounds gives you a very good
clue about whether the nearest band is open or not.  What is relevant
about this is that we frequently pull up frequencies from memory, which
says it's easy to get the rig into "MTUNE" mode.  If you do, then no
matter what frequency you're on or what mode you're in, CT is going to
log with what is in the configuration stored as the previous VFO
contents.  You can go forever in a contest with the rig in MTUNE mode,
so this trap is easier to fall into than you would suspect.  If you are
in MTUNE mode and you press one of the frequency buttons to do a band
change, then you will stay in MTUNE mode.  If you're in MTUNE mode and
you set a new frequency from the CAT interface, you stay in MTUNE mode.
In fact, I think the only way you'll go back to VFO mode is by entering
a full frequency on the keypad, and I rarely do that.

Bottom line:  NEVER operate the radio in a contest with the MTUNE light
showing.  And I owe K4SO big time for his help!

Bruce, N6NT