[Yaesu] FT-1000MP Birdie

Richard Lubash rlubash@poco.mv.com
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 09:07:52 -0500

>I have a permanent S7 birdie on  24.960 on my MP.  Does anyone else ??
>
>73 Frank VO1HP

---------------

Hi Frank,

I acquired a 1000mp a few weeks ago and noticed the same birdie on 12
meters. Mine luckily, as the rig warms up drifts over towards the band
edge. I asked Yaesu about it and they said "Yup it's there" without
offering a fix. I have noticed that you can use the auto notch to get rid
of it.

I posted the same question to the 1000mp reflector and received this answer

****************************
Richard Lubash wrote:

> ... seems to put out a fairly pronounced birdie at
> 24.984.50Mhz.

Hi Richard!  Welcome to the clock birdie.  Mine was on 25.055 and
drifted as it got warmer up to 25.070.  This is, of course, not a
problem on the fundamental, but the second harmonic (50.110 thru 50.140)
was a TREMENDOUS problem when on was trying to use any 6 meter equipment
with the thing turned on.   I sent it back to Yaesu and they found a
resonator in their inventory that makes it come out around 25.014, cold,
which is much less of a problem on 6 meters.

The signal comes from a microprocessor clock @ nominally 25 MHz.  The
real cure would be to use a real quartz AT-cut crystal at 24.995 in this
circuit, but Yaesu cheaped out and used a surface-mount ceramic
resonator instead.

73 es good luck,

Mike - W8MM - EM79sd

Other than the bird I think it's a great rig.

73

Richard / N1VXW

Richard Lubash
rlubash@poco.mv.com