[Yaesu] FT1000MP Receiving Antenna

John Warren nt5c@easy.com
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:42:19 -0500

A question for FT1000MP owners (I'm thinking of joining that fine group):

When a separate RX antenna is selected by the front panel switch, it seems
from Yaesu's "Technical Overview" document that the RX antenna remains
connected to the receiver front end even during transmit. If the RX antenna
is a long Beverage for example, that could put a considerable voltage into
the receiver front end. The Overview does say "A surge supressor is is
included on the antenna input line....", but nothing more. (It's impossible
for me to see how things are supposed to work in the condensed, illegible
front end schematic). I'm surprised they didn't disconnect the RX antenna
line during transmit, with appropriate grounding.

Should one do something externally about this, or isn't there a problem?
The folks I've asked individually seem to say don't worry about it. With
close to $3K on the line, I'd prefer to worry!!!

Thanks,
John, NT5C.