[Yaesu] FT-1000 vs MP

Jay Kesterson K0GU jayk@bits.fc.hp.com
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:03:45 -0700 (MDT)

> The facts of the matter are that they are TWO Different Radios. Each has
> features that the other doesnt and represent different objectives using the
> technology available at the time each was designed.
> for the MP also.

This is very true. I have a 1000D and have compared it, side by side, to
a late model 1000MP. Both are great radios. I think its very subjective
as to which one is better.

> Also note that the 200 watts compared to 100 watts is only 3db, which is
> only a half a S unit on a S meter....but boy does it need a bigger hotter
> running power supply. Try running the Ft1000D on 12v..........grin. The
> only time that the extra hundred watts is going to be worth it is when NOT
> running a linear amp, working a marginal station and using a antenna with
> some gain IN the Direction of the station your working.

I think this is one of the greatest features of the 1000D. I have an amp
that requires >100w drive. Even if I could drive the amp with 100w I like
the idea of not having to push the radios output to the limit. If your
not running an amp then you get 3db. I would kill for 3db in a pileup -).
The price you pay for the power is a heavy radio. If you ever want to
run off 12v then the MP is required. BTW how hard is it to convert the
MP from 12v and back again.

> The FT1000MP EDSP is terrific.

I agree, and it seems fairly simple to use. The one feature I miss from
the 1000D is the audio peaking filter. It does a great job of peaking up
a very weak CW signal. The MP DSP doesn't seem to have quite the same power
in this regard IMO. Also the DSP599zx I have hooked to the 1000D doesn't
either. The APF works great on weak signals on the beverage on 80/160. At
one time I thought 160m was weak signal work till I got into EME. The APF
is great on super weak EME signals.

> The display on the MP is great for immediate feedback as to what is setup
> and what is going on with the entire rig.

The display does give a lot of feedback. The visual quality of the MP's
display is a problem for some. You can see a lot of background stuff you
really don't want to see. But you get accustomed to that before long.

> The way you choose the radio is up to you.

For me its a tough call. I probably will buy a 1000MP to go along with
my 1000D. Then I don't have to make a decision :-). If I was buying a
high end Yaesu for the first time it might well be an MP because it is
newer. And I wouldn't know what I'm missing from the 1000D :-).

73, Jay  K0GU  DN70mq          jayk@fc.hp.com