[Yaesu] Question about MD100 mic

John "Chris" Wren jcwren@atlanta.com
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:19:15 GMT

	Yes, the cable is "reversible".  For a FT-847, you plug the
RJ-45 end of the cable into the microphone base, and connect the 8-pin
plug to the radio.

	I don't know what other radios use a RJ-45 on the radio
itself, but I can tell you that the documentation sheet (it ain't no
manual!) says that you *cannot* use the microphone with several
radios.  While I don't remember what the radios are (and the doc sheet
isn't at work), I do remember that they all seemed to be mobile
radios, and the FT-8100R was one of them.

	I have an FT-890 with a MD-1 microphone, and naturally, it
doesn't completely work with the FT-847.  It transmits just fine, but
the up/down/fast buttons don't work.  To paraphrase their advertising:
"Look, Yaesu did it to me again!"

	Now, here's my question:  How in the world do you get to the
element of the microphone to replace it with a decent Heil element?  I
tried twisting the windscreen assembly, but I'm hesitant to apply too
much pressure.  Any ideas (and, oh yea, the documentation doesn't
mention how to do *that*...)?

	- Chris, KD4DTS