[Yaesu] FT-890 and SB-220 connections

John P Skubick k8js@juno.com
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:37:28 -0500

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:15:08 -0500 Ray Dabkowski <rayd@en.com> writes:
>Hello to the list...
>
>Recently picked up an old Heath SB-220 and I'd love to interface
>it to the FT-890.  This is my first experience with QRO and I'm
>a little intimidated by all the power and mass of this beast!
>
>Anyone been down this road?  From what I can gather, I should be
>able to control the amp with the TX GND connector on the rear of
>the '890.  Or do I need an interface circuit to protect my rig?
>Is the ALC simply "plug-and-play"?  :)
>
>I sure could use some "elmering" in this area.  Thanks in advance
>for your help.
>
>73, Ray W8RD

The SSB-220 is still a very good amp for today's usage.
However, it was designed in the era of tube-type HF rigs.
Be advised that the Tx-Rx relay has 120 VDC across it.
This is what your HF rig will be controlling for transmit-receive.
If your HF rig actually has internal physical metallic relay contacts
then there is no problem.  Otherwise you will need a small external
box with a suitable relay inside it and your HF rig will switch that for
transmit-receive; the external relay box will then switch the SB-220 for
transmit-receive.
(This combo will be very noisey for Amtor and Pactor usage.)

When I was using the SB-220 I found it more desireable to not use the ALC
line.
For the SSB mode I found it better to instead use very mild audio
compression.
This may depend on one's HF rig.

73.  --John

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]