[Yaesu] 1000-MP Power Output

William Gode wiley@interaccess.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 07:42:08 -0500

>Gosh !  How much power/drive does a 3-500 require?

Actually, it takes about 120 watts to drive a pair of 3-500Zs to the
legal limit of 1500 watts out, assuming 2700-3000 volts on the plates.
The CCS ratings of the tubes are exceeded, but they seem to take it
in stride in SSB amateur service.  100 watts PEP will drive a typical
pair of 3-500Zs to 1200 watts output.  An increase to 1500 watts will
never be detected at the other end of the QSO, but will stress various
transmitting components.  Why bother?

The bigger concern should be in wanting to crank-up the FT-1000MP above
100 watts when it is only rated at 50% duty cycle at 100 watts PEP!

Does anyone know if the FT-1000MP's "anemic" ratings are due to the
final transistors, or the power supply?

73,

Bill, W9NHQ