[Yaesu] FT920 vs 870S vs Omni 6+

Robert W5AJ w5robert@blkbox.com
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 21:10:30 -0500

ok just so we are apples to apples, you are quoting the blocking DR
while I was quoting the  two-tone,3rd order IMD DR.  Different.
73 Robert

-===================
From: David Rich <kg0us@swbell.net>
To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re:Re: [Yaesu] FT920 vs 870S vs Omni 6+
Date: Saturday, July 25, 1998 11:13 AM

GL! Robert W5AJ writes:

"IF you live by the numbers you would probably not get the 950SDX or 775
as the
reported dynamic range is lower than MP (or 1000D)."

DAVID RICH WRITES:
The test report for the IC-775DSP can be found on page 67 of January,
1996 QST.  The test report for the FT-1000MP can be found on page 68 of
April, 1996 QST.
According to QST, the blocking dynamic range with 500-Hz IF filters at
14 MHz with pre-amps "OFF" of the FT-1000MP measured 142 dB while the
IC-775DSP measured 5 dBs less at 137 dB.  However, the FT-1000MP has a
far less sensitive front-end than the IC-775DSP.  The minimum
discernible signal (noise floor) with 500-Hz IF filters at 14 MHz with
pre-amps "OFF" of the FT-1000MP measured -128 dBm while the IC-775DSP
measured a whopping 10 dBm better at -138 dBm.  Yaesu seems to pull this
trick all the time.  The FT-1000MP should perform the blocking dynamic
range test a little better because it can not hear as well.  However,
which receiver is really better?  We need to judge the overall package
not just one or two measurements.

Robert also wrote:

"IF you are looking for best bang for buck the FT850 with ARRL lab
reported 108db DR beats them all.  IF you live by the numbers."

DAVID RICH WROTE:
The ARRL did Kenwood a favor on the TS-850 review while deceiving some
of us.  If you look at the measurements closely they look great!
However, they did the measurements with a 250 Hz IF filter installed!
This gives the radio an instant boost in performance when compared to
other radio's with only 500 Hz IF filters installed.  It is difficult to
compare apples with oranges.  I own a TS-850 which is superb on cw but
gets ate alive on SSB especially during contests even with the 1.8 KHz
filters installed.
RICH  WROTE:
The $2700 FT-1000MP and $3400 IC-775DSP are both extremely good radios.
I can not decide on which one to buy.

73s,

Dave KG0US