[Yaesu] FT-1000MP vs. IC-775DSP

David Rich kg0us@swbell.net
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 01:41:04 -0500

Hello Everyone,

I originally wrote some of the information below in a response to the
"FT920 vs 870S vs Omni 6+" thread.  I thought I should re-write my
message with a different title since the information has little to do
with the previous threads title.  I have previously purchased 5 new
Yaesu radios in my 21 years as an amateur radio operator.  I am a very
happy Yaesu customer.  I have never owned an ICOM radio but may decide
to buy one in the near future.  I am just trying to find out the truth
about the FT-1000MP vs. IC-775DSP.  I realize that the Yaesu reflector
may be somewhat biased but would like some honest opinions by people who
have owned or used both the FT-1000MP and IC-775DSP.

The test report for the IC-775DSP can be found on page 67 of January,
1996 QST.  The test report for the FT-1000MP can be found on page 68 of
April, 1996 QST.

All measurements below are quoted from QST with 500-Hz IF filters at
14 MHz with pre-amps "OFF":

The blocking dynamic range of the FT-1000MP measured 142 dB while the
IC-775DSP measured 5 dBs less at 137 dB.  However, the FT-1000MP has a
far less sensitive front-end than the IC-775DSP.  The minimum
discernible signal
(noise floor) of the FT-1000MP measured -128 dBm while the IC-775DSP
measured a whopping 10 dBm better at -138 dBm.  Yaesu seems to pull this

trick all the time.  The FT-1000MP should perform the blocking dynamic
range test a little better because it can not hear as well.

On the Two-tone IMD dynamic range test, the FT-1000MP measured 97 dB
with
the IC-775DSP measuring 9 dB better at 106 dB.

The third-order IMD for the FT-1000MP was +15 dBm with the IC-775DSP
coming out 6 dB ahead at +21 dBm.

However, which receiver is really better?  Let us not forget that the
IC-775DSP outputs 200 Watts not that it would be important to people
running Godzilla Flame Thrower II Amplifiers.  I need some opinions from
those who have had the opportunity to judge both overall packages.

The $2700 FT-1000MP and $3400 IC-775DSP are both extremely good radios.
I can not decide on which one to buy.

73s,

Dave KG0US