[Yaesu] FT-1000MP 70Mhz mod

tgstewart@pepco.com tgstewart@pepco.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:08:32 -0400

Thanks for the report Bob.

I just got mine as well but havent had time to install yet.  It was
apparent to me this weekend that this 70mhz mod is only necessary to
improve 15 meter performance.  It's too bad that Yaesu didnt provide the
low noise preamp to operate on that band as well because it would have made
this mod unnecessary.  In addition, if the EDSP noise reduction is turned
on, it has a lot of audio hiss of it's own...this is something that the
Timewaves have alway been VERY good at...removing the RX noise with their
noise reduction mode.  I'm kind of sorry I sold all mine for this very
reason...it was especially useful with the older 1000's as they are even
deader than the MP, and that extends from 10 through 20 meters!  With a
Timewave DSP in the line, the capacitor mod would probably also be
unnecessary.

I did install the INRAD 400hz 455 filters before the contest and was quite
pleased with their performance.  I took the old Collins filters and stuck
them in the sub RX.

Anyone adding filters should get the INRAD's...they are at least as good in
quality...some significantly better and somewhat cheaper to buy.  Running
the 400's this weekend I seemed to have more guys next to me come and
complain asking for a QSY when they were having little or no affect on me!
hi!

73, Ty K3MM