[Yaesu] unsolicited ads on Yaesu reflector

Robert W5AJ w5robert@blkbox.com
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:33:29 -0600

Yes,  at the bottom of every message is a list of email addresses.
IF we will address the problem directly with:

owner-yaesu@contesting.com

We can get it changed.  73 Robert

----------
From: John Hirth <w2ki@amsat.org>
To: Yaesu Reflector <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] unsolicited ads on Yaesu reflector
Date: Saturday, November 07, 1998 10:57 AM

Yes, the unsolicited marketing pitches and porn site ads are annoying,
just as "junk mail" in your postal mailbox is annoying.  Some Email
reflector servers, however, head off this "spam" by not accepting posts
to their list from anyone who is not a subscriber.  That, of course,
doesn't protect us from junk sent by subscribers, but would be a good
start.  Is there any way to have that implemented on this list server?

>From my own perspective, I use my browser's "mail filter" capability
to prevent me from seeing another post coming from an address that
has sent me junk mail.  Any subsequent messages from them automatically
and immediately go into the trash, without ever coming near my screen.
After a while I'm sure my filters will get out of hand, but meanwhile,
it works.

73,
John W2KI