[Yaesu] FT-5200

Dean Norris dnorris@k7no.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:33:05 -0700

Today I decided to replace the dial lamps in my FT-5200.  Now, I am
virtually unable to read typed documents that pass my desk in the normal
course of my work day.  Replacing the lamps can be likened to reading 1
point print!!

I managed to break 2 wires that go from the interface connector to the
inside world.  Thank God for the service manual.  I kinda understood where
the wires terminated on the board?  Well, the service manual is kinda
vague.  Besides, I can't read stuff that small.

Aw... what the heck.  Just tack solder 'em on and see what works.  (this is
a new, bold concept in electronic repair)

Replacing the lamps was only slightly more difficult than
micro-neurosurgery.  I now understand what repairing spinal column nerve
damage must be like.  I did get a one-to-one match for wire ends to solder
pads so I considered my job done.

I pondered on whether to re-assemble the whole thing or take it to the car,
plug it in,  and see just how much smoke I could force from the control
head before I had to send it back to Cerritos for a smoke refill.

Considering that I only had to gess the location of 3-4 wires and really
couldn't see if I had bridged any MAJOR components when I soldered the
lamps, I opted to re-assemble.

With care and trepidation I plugged the control head into the main body and
hit the power button..
.
.
.
You know, I has been about 4-5 years since I had seen the dial lit up.  I
had completely forgotten that it was a calm amber color.

Ain't science grand?

My wife has taken to calling me lucky.

Heck, I think I have real talent.

For consultation on how to approach the tack and check smoke technique,
contact

Dean, K7NO
Dean's Radio and Brain Stem Repair.
Petoskey, MI

                  Dean Norris, K7NO - email to: dnorris@k7no.com
James Carville - "Starr is one mistake away from losing his kneecaps"
Alec Baldwin - "We should go over to their houses and kill their families"
Susan McDougall - "I wish their kids were dead"

And Conservative Republicans are "Mean Spirited"?