[Yaesu] FT-1000D 'Synchro' Mod

k3ky@erols.com k3ky@erols.com
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:27:08 -0400

I have done the synchro mod to my 'nearly-D'  FT-1000 radio and
am delighted with the results. I want to thank Robin, G3TKF, for
coming up with this very useful circuit improvement. Using a
reconfigured SPOT switch, the mod allows the Main VFO
(encoder) to tune both the main and the sub-receivers
simultaneously. It can be applied to any FT-1000/D, but would
appeal especially to those who have the BPF-1 option and want
to do antenna diversity work running two antennas through two
entirely separate receivers at the same time. Note that these
comments do not apply to either the MP or the Mark V. This
mod is definitely not for beginners, although hams with some
homebuilding experience should do fine with it. This mod is not
sanctioned by Yaesu or available through them.

It has been an enjoyable experience to try diversity for the first
time using various antenna combinations on both the low bands,
30 meters and below, and the high bands. Both polarization
diversity and space diversity have been tried (usually height
diversity with different horizontally polarized antennas). My
results have been quite encouraging and I intend to pursue this
further.

I have added a sub-page about the FT-1000D and this mod on my
website. At this point it includes 3 photos and a brief description
of the wiring. I will add more information later. If you are interested
in using your FT-1000 in this way, you might want to bookmark
this page and revisit later for more details:
http://www.angelfire.com/md/k3ky/page61.html

73, David K3KY

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/yaesu