[Yaesu] Yaesu FT-920 and Inrad filters

Benny Thornelius benny@thornelius.dk
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:56:58 +0200

About Yaesu FT-920 and Inrad filters.

My very good friend OZ1KNK Jacob and I OZ5RZ Benny are both using the Yaesu
FT-920 and we did both buy the Inrad filter kit including a switch board
with a 2.1 and 1.8 filter to replace the OEM filter in the FT-920, and now
that we did have the opportunity to install the kit in on radio and then
setup the modified FT-920 against the unmodified FT-920 with a antenna
switch between the two rigs we did so, and that was an interesting test, we
are not in any doubt that installing the kit is a good idea, it is like we
got a new and better radio  - - - -
                                                                  now we do
have two modified FT-920  J.

When we turn on the FT-920 after it was modified there is no doubt that some
thing is different, the sound is more ‘sharp’, but with use of menu U-58,
U-59, U-61, U-62 it is possible to make both the receiver and transmitter to
sound almost like before, only now we can pickup signals that was very hard
or impossible to hear before, it work of curse on all band but on 7Mhz I
think it make THE deferens, we did not had an opportunity to try out our
modified FT-920 in contest yet but are looking forward to that, I think that
the 2.1 filter will be used most of the time, be course the 1.8 is not
exactly a pleasure to listen to BUT it dos the job it will be interesting to
try out in a contest.

PS: I will post some pictures on my homepage www.thornelius.dk
<http://www.thornelius.dk>

73 de OZ5RZ Benny