[Yaesu] new member with a ft-101... (Jeff Crilly)

Jeff Crilly jlc@myrealbox.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:00:07 -0800

Thanks for the info!...

> 2. Can't tell you much about the lamps, I haven't had to replace any yet.
> (Where is that block of wood I knock on?) I know the one over the VFO is
> supposed to be a bear to get to.  I is a 14V, 40 mA wire lead type.  You
> have to remove the main tuning knob and the escutcheon which is held by 2
> screws. The other 3 are indeed 16V bayonet types.  I would would check with
> Radio Shack.  You might get lucky (R.S. doesn't seem to have much anymore).
> Yes I said 3 - There is one for the meter, one for the dial, and one in the
> rear near the RF jack which is used as an RF fuse to protect the front end
> from damage in the presence of too strong of a nearby signal.

Fyi.. I put in lamps from radio shack .. the radio shack ones were 14v/200ma.
They also had some that were 240ma.  Seems to work just great.
(http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jlc/ft-101.html shows them (but please ignore the
work-in-progress vistor counter.)

I was able to put the meter and vfo lamps in from the top cover.  The RF
"fuse" lamp was ok.  I think the schematic calls out four lamps.. I dunno where
the other one is.

More questions...

Is "Radio101" in WA history?  Their email on http://www.qth.com/examples/ft101/ doesnt work.
(and no phone number listed)

Is there a decent place to get parts?  (e.g. like the square knob tabs
for the carrier and rfgain pots.)

Also... I notice the FT-101 has a bare aluminum front panel trim ring, with a
greenish front panel.  The -B model has a gray panel with painted trim ring.
I was able to get the early matching speaker, and I'm wondering about the
other accessories.. like the YO-100... were these available in the early trim?
All the ones I've seen look to be in the later "B" trim.  (ok.. getting too obsessive with this.)

jeff