[Yaesu] FT-1000D Cleanup report

David G. Maley dgmaley@soli.inav.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:21:21 -0500 (CDT)

Just wanted to say thanks for helping with this cleanup process on
an older 1000D.  This one has a serial number that shows a JUly 1990
construction date, but I suspect it went back for updating sometime
in the mid-90's.  The ver 6.00 software was already in it.
I found one little problem (and correction) I wanted to pass along.
The fan didn't run very often on this radio, but when it did the exhaust
air was quite warm.  I happen to remove the black heat-sink cover off the
back of the radio to clean it.  Once the cover is removed, it's easy to
access the PA board on the bottom heat-sink, and the regulator board
on the top heat-sink.  The controller for the fan is on the regulator
board.  There's a thermistor extending off the regulator board that
lays on the top heat-sink.  The only thing that holds it down is a
glob of white heat-sink compound.  Over the years, the compound dried
and allowed the thermistor to pop up, no longer having direct
contact.  I cleand off the old and replaced the compound.  Pushed the
thermistor down into it, while not getting any on the leads.  Now
the fan runs more often, but the exhaust air is much cooler.
Now if I could only get this radio to teach me how to copy CW at
25WPM <grin>.
Dave
WA0ZZG
AR