[Yaesu] Intermittant antenna connection problem..

John Tait bravo@iol.ie
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:31:30 +0100

I don't know if this has been covered before.. If it has, then please excuse
the bandwidth..

Have you a suspect coax link from your antenna terminal on your 1000MP? The
set goes silent, you check the antenna connection, and as soon as you move
the cable everything is OK...until the next time..
           If you have this problem, it is probably NOT the coax plug. If
you take off the top cover, and look at the rear of the two antenna sockets,
you will find that the stiff wire connecting the centre pin of the SO239 to
the small PCB has an intermittant  connection at the soldered joint on the
PCB.
This is caused when you connect your PL259 . Pushing on it causes the back
panel to bend inward, pushing the stiff wire, which eventually breaks the
soldered joint.
 You can resolder this joint, or better still, replace the stiff wire with a
piece of multistrand wire, or a longer piece of stiff wire, with a curve on
it, so that the wire can flex.

  I have dealt with three different MPs in  two weeks with the same problem.

Cheers
         John Tait EI7BA    http://www.iol.ie/~bravo/