[Yaesu] Re: Mark-V - WARNING!!

Wiley Sanders wsanders@wsanders.net
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:37:15 -0800

 > I can still feel a quivering between the radio and the PC

You mean you feel an electric shock when touching the rig and computer at the
same time? You may have dangerous safety problem, like an open ground on the
rig, PC, or the house wiring. If the rig and PC are grounded together you
should have 0 volts potential between them (not 0.1! - 0.0!). Have you
measured the potential of each piece of equipment to ground? Is the AC ground
in your house functioning?

It's normal for there to be some leakage from the power supply inlet filter
caps, and most equipment floats at a few AC volts above ground but its pretty
unusual for the leakage to be large enough to shock. My old FT-101 floats
about 30V above ground - but I added a 3rd safety ground lead to the power
supply cord, and I also have it securely grounded to the ground rod right
outside the shack. If I was really serious I would replace the filter caps
inside the chassis with newer less leaky ones (and add a choke in the lines
for a true LC filter.)

My laptop floats about 14VAC above ground too - when I operate PSK31 or RTTY
is has to be grounded to the rig or there is a huge AC hum in the audio.

-Wiley KF6IIU