[Yaesu] Re: FR-101

Davis_R WD8JJA at arrl.net
Thu Jan 30 08:22:32 EST 2003

Well good going, Cam.

I got an earlier email about the MUTE connector. It sounds like you figured
out to ground the center pin.

As far as alignment goes, there are some things you can do with a DVM and RF
probe. In fact most of the alignment can be done with a DVM, RF probe and
the internal CALIBRATOR signal. But I would want a frequency counter for the
BFO oscillators, and and maybe to check the VFO (probably shouldn't tamper
with unless needed). Then there are some traps that would need a signal
generator to tune. Another receiver is needed for the VFO buffer alignment.

In all, read the manual over and over until you really know what you are
doing. Then read it over a few more times.

It's no big deal. Heck it is only a receiver. Nothing will blow up. But if
you don't do it right, you can actually come out with it performing poorer
than when you started.

As far as your frequency error, 20 KHz sounds like a lot. How are you
checking it? Is this a FR-101 'D' with the digital display? If so, the
display can be adjusted with the CALIB knob. If not, you hold the DIAL LOCK
while turning the VFO knob.

If you are using the internal calibrator, be sure it is on frequency by
beating it with WWV.

If you are still too far off, and the +6 VDC is right, look at the
adjustments for the TRANS control.

If it is specific to one band, the RF oscillator can be adjusted by tweaking
the associated trimmer capacitors. Be careful - They are ceramic trimmers,
and can be brittle after 25 years and would be REAL hard to replace, if you
can find a replacement. Also, there are a lot of them, it is easy to get on
the wrong one and foul up another band. There is also the remote possibility
that the crystal or it's associated trimmer may be going bad and is too far
off to pull it onto freq. Here, I am assuming that a previous owner hasn't
already broken them for you.

Well those are all my thoughts for now.

Good luck and 73's.

Rick, WD8JJA