[Yaesu] FT-101 Mods

Thomas Giella kn4lf at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 12 12:33:18 EDT 2003

  I had a late model FT-101E manufactured in 1978 and used just for 160 meter CW DXing, as the receiver was superbly sensitive AND had high dynamic range due to the preselection in the rig's front end and none of the phase noise of a modern rig like the FT-1000 series. I modified it to the extreme and dubbed it an FT-101EM, M for modified. Anyhow the FT-101 series is particularly sensitive to ANY mods.
  Amongst the many mods installed, was an AADE digital readout, which required major surgery to install and allot of circuit tweaking to get it to work. Let me say though that the AADE digital readouts work great but you have to know what you are doing to install one and make it work correctly. I also added the WARC bands mod and it never did work properly and suffered from low output.
 One point not mentioned so far concerning replacing the 6JS6C sweep tubes with 6146's. The FT-101 power supply is under rated for support of 6146's.
  Listen to W4LCM he knows what he's talking about.

73,
Thomas Giella
Plant City, FL, USA
EL87WX

Florida Space & Atmospheric Weather Institute:
http://www.kn4lf.com/fsawi.htm

Friend Website Design Studio:
http://www.kn4lf.com

---