[Yaesu] FT-1000 60 Hz Audio Hum

Marty Rosenzweig marty at cmn.net
Sat Jul 24 14:58:18 EDT 2004

Greetings,
I have a 1992 FT-1000 which, with the RF and AF gain CCW (off) and
everything disconnected from the radio except a pair of Yaesu
headphones, has a very noticeable 60 Hz hum (about 5 mv on the scope,
both channels (ie., main and sub in "stereo"). The hum level doesn't
vary with the AF gain control, the AF output (which isn't very useful)
is clean and the hum disappears into the "normal" volume level but
doesn't seem "right"! I've been living with the hum for a couple of
years (maybe since '92!) and my memory is hazy but I think I listened to
friend's 1000 and heard the same hum. The -9V buss measures 9.3V and the
+9V is 8.65V but both look pretty clean.
Has anyone fixed this in the 1000 (Yaesu tech support had never heard of
the problem and wasn't successful in isolating it for me...I don't have
the service manual) or, at minimum, could a few owners of the FT 1000
(and 1000D) experiment  with their radios and let me know if they hear a
hum under the given operating conditions?
Since this may not be of general interest to the list, e-mail me
directly and I'll report the results.

Thanks,

Marty
WO0Q