[Yaesu] FW: roofing filters

Paul Manuel k4pdm at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 10:54:29 EDT 2006

I am a bit confused about the term "roofing filters" as it seems to be a
new term for an old idea.

Is "roofing filter" today's term for a hardware, high-IF filter, to be
used in conjunction with the DSP filtering used at low IFs (such as
32kHz?)

If so, I don't see the need for the new term, especially if the rig in
question offers these switchable filters in different IFs. How is this
different from what we used to see? For instance, my Kenwood TS-850SAT had
12kHz, 6kHz, 2.4kHz, and 500Hz hardware filters. How was this different
from today's use of roofing filters, except that they depend solely upon
hardware? And are we not taking a step back from the "DSP is the Latest
and Greatest" philosophy?

Not to be critical and certainly not for flaming purposes, just wanting to
know! Fifteen years ago I was able to keep up with ham technology, but now
its passing me by...
73,
Paul K4PDM