[Yaesu] FW: roofing filters

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 21 10:41:42 EDT 2006

AFAIK, the original Icom 7800 had 15KHz and 6KHz selectable roofing filters.
The 9000 has 15, 6 and 3.  According to the 2000 manual I saw, it also has
15, 6 and 3.  I understand there is now a free upgrade to add 3 to the 7800.
The Orion was the first radio I saw with roofing filters and they are
selectable down to 1KHz, with 500Hz as an option.

To me, roofing filters are really useful in reducing the harmful effects of
AGC caused by reception of unwanted signals (2-10KHz away).  My brain is
pretty good at separating one signal from the other, but when AGC drops both
signals, noise seems to win out over intelligibility.  In the lab, I believe
the net result shows up as blocking dynamic range at 2KHz spacing.

The newer receivers such as 756 Pro III, Orion, 7800, 9000 and now 2000
(according to manual) have excellent front ends.  DSP is often claimed to do
amazing things to reduce or eliminate interference.  However, compared to
the original 1000 series, I do not see a quantum leap in performance.  There
are definite improvements but the operator has to do a lot of studying and
experimenting to get improved performance out of the rig.

Personally, I have two 9000D's, an Orion and an Icom 775DSP.  Learning how
to effectively use the Orion took at least two months of concentrated study
and use.  Learning how to use the 9000 is a whole new ball game.  After four
months of reading the manual and fiddling with knobs and buttons, I have
mastered use of about 50 percent of the available features.  I hope to have
experimented with everything else within a year.

73, Keith NM5G