[Yaesu] FT857D Problem?

WA3GIN @ Arlington County, VA wa3gin at erols.com
Mon Jun 12 11:40:19 EDT 2006

No doubt you're using an RMS type watt meter.  Use CW to measure the
output.  You'll see something close to 100 watts. On SSB you'll need a
peak reading watt meter to see 100 watt. On the RMS meter you'll
probably see somewhere around 35-45 watts.

enjoy the new radio,
dave

p.s. the early version of that rig had a fault when running less than 50
watts on SSB.  The audio would be significantly distorted. There is a
factory fix.  So, if you plan to run an amplifier and it requires 50
watts or less you may want to get some audio quality checks.