[Yaesu] FT1000 Frequency Hopping Problem - HELP!

Bruce P. Tis bruce.tis at simmons.edu
Wed Sep 12 19:42:52 EDT 2007

My FT1000MP has developed a very odd problem. So odd that its solution
is defying the local authorized repair facility in NH.

Whenever the rig goes from transmit to receive the frequency display,
and the radio, goes up anywhere from 10 to 60 Hz. This transition from
transmit to receive can occur either via PTT, the MOX switch, or VOX.
The effect is cumulative so after making a few transmissions I am a
couple of hundred Hz up in frequency (both the transmitter and
receiver). The problem is somewhat heat related. It takes 5-10 minutes
after power up before it happens and then as the rig warms up the
frequency hop gets larger.  It happens on all bands and I think all
modes but I'm not entirely sure. I just operate SSB.  I of course have
reset the microprocessor but that doesn't help.

As I mentioned the local repair facility is at a loss. They have put a
few hours into trying to find the cause and have come up empty handed.

Anybody out there experienced such a problem?  Any ideas as to solution?

Bruce -  W1TIS