[Yaesu] G-800DXA Issues

Paul J. Piercey p.piercey at nl.rogers.com
Sat Feb 9 19:15:54 PST 2008

I have G-800DXA that I got about 6 months ago. I find that if the temp goes
to around 0C, it freezes in position. Right now, as I type this, it will
only rotate through 15 degrees in either direction before stopping. The mast
is fairly close to the tower mounts but, from what I can tell, does not rub
on it. I have a thrust bearing as well.

Basically, it seems like the rotator doesn't have enough torque to turn if
there is a slight resistance. If the wind is blowing at an angle to the
beam, it tends to stutter as it rotates. Perhaps there is a bit of ice
holding it in place but it has happened when the temp is above 0 as well. We
have had pretty cold temps (-12 to -15C) over the past few weeks and it
worked fine when it was cold.

I had an issue with the cable and had to repair it but that didn't seem to
affect the operation until it started getting colder. It was working this
morning and afternoon but I turned it to put the beam into the wind and now
it's stuck.

Anyone have any issues like this with a similar rotator? I had a G-400RC and
it never stuck in place like this one.

73 -- Paul VO1HE