[Yaesu] FT2000 + MTU

Grant Bright gbright at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 25 23:17:19 EST 2008

Has anyone used the FT2000 with the three MTU?

I get the "impression" this makes the FT2000 receiver perform close/near/same (?) to the 9000.

Most importance is quietness, and adjacent strong signal handling...such as we so often seen in contests and DX pileups.

In seeing several FT2000 for sale...I wonder why they are selling? One idea comes to mind is the menu driven aspect as opposed to just pushing a button as on the FT1000...but performance is the issue. Maybe having had a 1000 before makes the 2000 disappointing.

Sherwood's tests show the 2000 to take second seat to the 1000 in a few categories, but I can't tell if Sherwood used the MTUs.

So if you are have used the FT2000 with MTUs, and perhaps had a FT1000 before, I would be very interested in your comments...as well as, if you have a 9000 AND a 2000 and can compare the radios...certainly the 9000 is very feature rich and a great radio, but I am not sure how much I would use features except those that control "selectivity."

Many thanks for your comments,

73s,

Grant
W4OJC