[Yaesu] FT-1000Mp Mrk V Key Factory Click Mod?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sun Dec 13 13:55:47 PST 2009

I wrote:

 >      I believe it was in the summer of 2003, but it could have
been 2004.  Since Yaesu never admitted there was a "key click
problem" in all the years of FT-1000/MP/Mk V manufacturing, I doubt
they would admit guilt and publicize when the Mark V mod was made.

I just found this, so the answer is mid-2004 (point 2 below):

http://www.va3cr.net/markv/Troubleshooting/KeyClicks.htm

Key Clicks and the Mark V Field

Hello from Gary NL7Y in Fairbanks, AK. Here's my tentative thoughts
regarding the Yaesu key-click issue. I'm on my second Mark-V, the
first was a used 2001 production 200W version, and the current is a
Field model. I like both. The first blew up some stuff in in the
output (tuner/finals/?), and that was apparently a common occurrence
in some early models. According to Burghardt (Jim via phone), Yaesu
was aware of the problem, but neglected to address the issue until it
started to cost them $$$$ in warranty repairs. Contact Burghardt or
Yaesu for details if you're so inclined. The current 200W models are
apparently better, and the older ones are repairable. I returned mine
to the selling dealer (The Ham Station - also an honest dealer) for a
used equipment warranty refund, via Yaesu repair Service, and
exchanged it for the Field model.

I have the Inrad click mod ready to install, plus their roofing
filter in the Field model. So, for the heck of it I just called Yaesu
Service Support and was told that:

1. Installing the Inrad click mod would not void my warranty if
properly done. The "Inrad stuff was good";

2. Yaesu addressed the key click issue in mid 2004 as referenced in
an internal Service bulletin (number not available - I asked) read to
me by the support technician, and;

3. Owners experiencing problems with their rigs need only return
their unit to Yaesu for repair or upgrades. I didn't ask if it was a
warranty item.

I guess this means a "factory" fix is available, and interested Hams
should contact Yaesu and see what Yaesu can do to help their
customers. I'll likely not install the Inrad mod unless someone finds
out something to the contrary. GL. 73 Gary

Addendum: Someone forwarded some very good news from Burghardt Radio.
I only wish Yaesu would publish the S/N's this is effective for.
Better late than never! 73, Bill W4ZV

Yes, recently Yaesu did install what is the equivalent of the Inrad
CW keying mod in their new radios coming off the line. Can't tell you
serial number change but it has been done on the ones coming off the
line now. We have been installing it in all of our used ones for
quite some time. 73 James C Smith (W0MJY) Burghardt Amateur Center
sales at <http://www.burghardt-amateur.com>www.burghardt-amateur.com