[Yaesu] FT-1000 mystery signals?

Chris Hannagan zl2dx at xtra.co.nz
Fri Dec 31 21:33:37 PST 2010

Hi All,

My FT-1000 has an unusual problem and I would appreciate some help to track
down the issue.

On the bands there are extra signals being generated in the receiver.

I can hear a "copy" of the original signal every 17.4-17.5 KHz away from the
real signal but decreasing in signal strength each "17 KHz step" away.

On my local 10 metre beacon for example, I can hear these "copies" to well
above 29 MHz.

As you can imagine it makes 20 metres sound really busy in a contest but
often the signal I'm hearing is not the fundamental one..

This "feature" switches off by momentarily putting the tuner in line. It's
not necessary to actually have the tuner operate.

The extra signals re-appear when the rig is momentarily put into TX mode.

Possibly related to this is that when chatting on 75 metres, on returning to
RX there are often strong whistles (carriers or images?) that sweep across
the received frequency for about 2 seconds or so.

I would appreciate any assistance with this and would like to hear from
anyone else who might be seeing the same events.

Thanks and 73

Chris ZL2DX