[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, b38@hilding.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:01:08 -0700
                    NCCC Sprint - Aug 22

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  53     10
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  53     10  Total Score = 530

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

{SIGH} Yet another Locust Peak Remote Horror Show tonight ;0(

Mega-apologies to all for the remote Confuzer having a mind of it's own when my
NS exchange self-QRQ'd to about 500WPM during 15 or more Q's tonight.  Very
embarrasing.  I think the problem may be in the serial keying up there.
Frustrating.  It happened during my 1st Q with Ted/W4NZ and I had a feeling the
rest of the NS was going to get ugly here.

Although my 1ms latency link works like gangbusters for rig control, the VOIP
audio latency problem has still not been resolved.  So apologies also for
various delays, and QLF response to requests for repeates (I also kept
forgetting to NOT listen to my return audio when typing CW on the keyboard from
home)...often feeling like a deer in the proverbial headlights.

I tried a faster Confuzer on the home QTH end 2 days ago, but not much
difference.  Also bought an outboard USB audio widget that was *supposed* to
have it's own co-processor (assumably to yield faster A/D processing), but it
turned out to NOT have one after all.  I hate it when that happens.

It was windy here tonight, and that seems to cause weird QRN like spikes in the
received audio, which I think is due to tree branches waving around right in my
5Ghz path.  All through the NS I felt like I was listening to signals through a
toilet paper tube during a thunderstorm.  I have negotiated with neighbors (at
my expense, of course) to have a fully insured tree trimmer cut back some of
their tree branches.  This is kinda tit-for-tat, as I also commited to taking
down most antennas at the home QTH by next Spring.  Ohhhhhhh... I gotta get
these remote woes resolved !!!

Special apologies to K5PI who I did work several times, heard call other times
but was too QLF to respond due to audio delay problems.  Rob was also a victim
of my unintentional remote Confuzer/QRQ keying problems.

I thought another 'Guest Op' was at N3BB's station tonight, 'cuz didn't recall
Jim ever ripping along so fast in an NS before.  The Booga Man was smokin' !!!

Yes, my last Q with NG7Z was defintely a Rubber Clock job.  Whaddya think of
them apples, DanWAhhhhh ???

73 & Tnx for the Q's and everyone's patience while I try to work the kinks out
of this remote stuff...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust