[AMPS] Heathkit SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Heathkit SB-1000
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 97 11:11:04 -0800

yes
>This and the 160M reflector are Toms last places to hide so I am glad you
>have made ur presence known. .
Chortle.  I received an eyebrow-raisin'  clip from one of his posts from
an unfan, which is why I showed up here.  Where there's smoke,
there's.................
>........... I just got a TL-922 dumped on me with problems plus
>ur QSK kit...problems are simple. The jerk put in ur parasitic stuff but
>cant solder. Blew one tube plus the zener.
Better suppressors is not going to help the shorted tube and zener, but
we might be able to lick the problem with the fil/grid short if there are
no other problems with the tube...If the short is intermittent when u
bang on the tube, we might be able to fix it with our centrifuge.  If the
shorts looks like a weld, the tube is history.
> That QSK kit has very
>ambiguous instructions...
Suggestions on unamibiguating them are welcome.
 The biggest time-consumer is reading the plethora of pages of
information and instructions.  Some people don't.   This is one of the
reasons I have a moneyback guarantee.  Believe it not, Carl, some folks
do not wash off the nichrome soldering flux residue.
>....what do you  feel is   the average time to
>retrofit from scratch??
Reading time---maybe an hour.  Soldering is anybody's guess.  Henry amps.
are time consuming to disassemble.
 Another problem is not installing the glitch protection components.  I
think this happens because some people assume that a resistance-wire VHF
parasitic-suppressor is a miracle-sure-cure. IMO, a suppressor retrofit
kit reduces VHF voltage amplification by about half in the SB-220 and
TL-922---and in the AL-80 and SB-1000 by about a third.  Such an
improvement is worth having, but it is no guarantee of absolute freedom
from future VHF parasites---so leaving out glitch protection carrys risk.

R. L. Measures,ag6k,805-386-3734