[AMPS] Re: 3-500Z/ G

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 3-500Z/ G
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 01:41:17 GMT
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:12:41 EST, km1h@juno.com wrote:
<snip>
>Many failures can be traced to a poor
>understanding on how to even tune the damn thing. I cant believe how many
>hams havent a clue as to what they are doing.  But the bottom line as a
>manufacturer is you have to make it somewhat idiot proof.  I'll accept
>the flames....most hams are dumber than a sneaker full of s...; this
>reflector is an exception of course!
One of the basic concepts in tuning up an amplifier is one I had to
figure out the hard way.  Here it is:

The amplifier should be tuned up for the maximum output that you
intend to use at that time.  For example, if you want to put out 1000
watts PEP on SSB, you have to tune it up with a continuous 1000 watt
CW output.  THEN you can drive it to 1000 watts on peaks without
clipping.  If you tune it up for 900 watts output and then try to
drive it to 1000, you will splatter all over the place.  Actually, to
avoid splatter, I would typically tune up and then reduce the drive
about 5-10%.  Works like a charm.

This is such a simple concept, but for some reason it doesn't come
across to a lot of people.

73, Bill W7TI
wrt@eskimo.com