[AMPS] Heathkit SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Heathkit SB-1000
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 97 08:47:55 -0800

Eimac sold their glass tube division to General Electric.
>and are being made by Svetlana.
>Is there any "updates" or mods to this amp?

1.  Faster T/R switching so that it will not hot switch with some of the
newer radios.
2.  Better VHF supprssion so that it will not arc its bandswitch or, more
rarely, cause a grid/fil. short in the 3-500Z. ---see photographs on
Figure 15 at:
 http://www.vcnet.com/measures
> I know that the ameritron
>AL-80A is supposed to be a "clone" of this amp.
 AL-80 replacement bandswitches fit and they are easier to get.  .

Forget about the 500mA+ blather in the SB-1000 or AL-80 owner's manual.
Eimac says that for linear operation, 400mA is the absolute maximum
rating.  500mA is bovine feces.

R. L. Measures,ag6k, [805]386-3734