[AMPS] Kenwood TL-922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Kenwood TL-922
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 97 20:05:53 -0800

Mechanically, it is superb.
>I can say that when I was performing the 10M mod, though successful, it
>did not work very well on 10M.......snip...... Has anyone else
>experienced this?
Yes.  The Q of the ten meter tuned input is too low.  Q needs to be a
minimum of 2.  Some other bands have the same problem.  On 75m, Q is 0.7.

>Also, has anyone done anything to beef up the power supply to enable
>more output power ...snip.......
I have tinkered with increasing the V.  It is a waste of time and money.
The weak links are the fan and the bandswitch.  Otherwise, the 922 would
handle 4000v on ssb--but the guy on the receiving end would never know,
Rick.   Even for 3kV opertion, reducing the VHF voltage amplification of
the 3-500Zs is not a bad idea.  High speed switching would be nice.  It
is about 35db quieter, makes vox pleasurable instead of painful, and it
eliminates hot-switching with modern radios.

If want to obtain a modest 8db power increase, you need a 50a 240 dryer
outlet and a tetrode with handles.  Info on building such a machine can
be found on my Web site.

R. L. Measures,ag6k,805-386-3734