[AMPS] Single band amp construction query

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Single band amp construction query
From: Vince.Fedele@VSTTECH.COM (Vincent Fedele)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:27:58 -0400
Gary:

You didn't say which band?? But, with just a single band, the caps are
less of an issue. Always use a vacuum for the C1, plate tune cap. This
is because there are very high RF currents there, and also high
voltages, due to the high plate impedance of the tube.

The vacuum is a better fit there. For 160 meters, and a single 8877, for
example, you need a 12-500pF, 7.5KV part, for a Q of 10-12. A typical
vacuum variable in this size range handles about 50-70 amperes of RF
current, depending upon frequency.

The following is a good source:

COMET North America, Inc.
Phone: 203 852-1231 and FAX: 203 838-3827
All RF applications
Fixed or variable
3 pf to 6600 pf
Peak test voltages to 100 kv