[AMPS] Single band amp construction query

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Single band amp construction query
From: Vince.Fedele@VSTTECH.COM (Vincent Fedele)
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 16:22:52 -0400
Chad Kurszewski WE9V wrote:

> At 03:20 PM 4/22/97 -0400, Vincent Fedele wrote:
> >You can not open a vacuum relay with voltage present at the contacts, as
> >an internal arc will ionize metal off of the contacts in the process of
> >opening same.
>
> Wouldn't an arc only be present if current was being drawn?  My line of
> thinking was that the tube was in cut-off and no current would flow,
> therefore no problem.  Obviously this wasn't the case.  :)
>
> ---
> Chad Kurszewski, WE9V

Chad:

The application booklet for Jennings vacuum relays notes several
precautions to observe when using vacuum ralays to switch high DC
voltages.

<<The type intended for this application have coils that are especially
well isolated from the contacts.>>

You're correct about interrupting a DC current, which is an even more
challenging task, due to back EMF. Keep in mind, when switching from
amplifier deck-to-deck, small capacitances are being charged, but at
high voltages, therefore, some current may be flowing, even when the
tube(s) are cut off. A small arc will short [internally] to the case of
the incorrectly applied relay, and that's what starts the catastrophic
failure mechanism.

Vince
WA2PKE