[AMPS] consider leaving the caps...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] consider leaving the caps...
From: mays@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Skip)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:05:49 -0700 (PDT)
[snip]
>The need of equalizing resistors and spike caps due to diode manufacturing
>variations pasted almost two decades ago.  Old habits are slow to die.

Hello all,

With my extensive experience in HVAC generation, I would seriously
consider leaving the "bypass caps" on the diodes in a power supply.

I have a list of Horror stories I've seen happen on "the grid" here in
California. All is not golden on "the grid". Noise, spikes, load/Tap
changers are common place on a daily basis.

Any bypassing you can cheaply add to the power supply for high
frequencies are always a plus. While I agree the equalizing resistors
might be from the "early days", the reason for the cap bypass only seems
to increase.

Not to keep the paranoid train on the track to long, I completely remove
portions of my home from the grid when I'm away or not using that
section.

Twice this year I've saved my consumer and entertainment equipment from
ruin. Once was the neighborhood distribution xmfr going up in a fireball.
The local Utility is still fighting payment to my neighbors for damage.

The caps are cheap, basic inssurance for "small trouble" comming down the
line.

73's
Skip May  wv6f