[AMPS] consider leaving the caps...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] consider leaving the caps...
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 11:38:19 -0700
...snip...
>I have been told by a PS designer that placing caps across a series
>string of diodes can lead to problems. ...snip...

I agree, Carl.  The typical minus 20% to plus 50% tolerance of common
disc ceramic caps is unreasonable.  It seems to me that the measured
capacitance of each cap would need to be closely matched to the measured
avalanche voltage of each diode.  If a rectifier assembly were operating
at 25kHz, maybe it would be worth the effort.  At 50 to 60 Hz, probably
not.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K